Monday, June 9, 2008

Weekend update

Sheesh! What a weekend. Saturday, I helped with the RunnersWorld training group. I ended up doing three different runs: one with the intermediate half marathon group (I think), one with the walking group in which I walked with Allen who was doing a mega-mini-taper for the TATUR Estim8ur run tomorrow, and then one more run with Dana and Candice who wanted some more miles.I took pictures for the RunnersWorld-Tulsa blog, which you can read by clicking on the link to the right.

Then Sunday, I ran the TATUR Estim8ur (amazing that spell-check does not flag that!) which was an 8 mile run in which you guessed your time and left your watch at home. 



















A lot of runners just cannot run without having a watch to look at. Here are a couple of people who were just trying to cope.

Brian started the race by tossing a watch into the air and then shooting it with the starting gun.NAILED IT!And away we go!

A lot of time and preparation went in to this race, and I applaud Brian and Kathy for all the hard work they did. (My cat is wondering what in the heck I am doing standing up in front of the computer clapping my hands!) Special thanks goes to all the people who volunteered as well.Carrie and crew manned the 1st aid station.Diana (above) and Susan (below) worked the turn-around aid station.This race started out on the east side of the river, crossed the 71st street bridge (uphill all the way!) then had 1/2 mile of single-track dirt, before spilling onto the brand new west side paved trail along the west bank. I took over 100 pics along the way, and rest assured I'm not gonna upload them all. Most of them were of runners on their return trip. I will try to put together a photo album that you can view. (I am computer challenged ya know!) But, here are a couple.

Tommy Manning cranked out some sub 6 minute miles and finished in 47:55. Fast, but no cigar in today's format!

I kicked it up a notch on the way back. I am thinking I made the turn-around in about an hour, giving that I met the 2:07 runner just after I headed back. If that was so, then I ran the last 4 miles in 39 minutes with a walk break on some of the single-track whilst visiting with some friends. These friends, Ed and Julie, went on to win 4th and 5th place, finishing within 24 seconds of their projected time!
Niki, 52 years old, predicted her time at 1:48:32 and was 7 seconds away from being perfect, and took home the first place trophy!!
I had estimated my time at 1:20:12, and I should have been pretty close. However, I opted to take it easy and take pictures for the event. In a race that ANYONE could win, I ended up in LAST place by missing my time by 19 minutes.
My friend Bill aka Spud and I were last and next to last according to our predicted times. We still had fun.

After the race, we hung out, told lies, and indulged in some nice Sunday morning beers. Here, Allen sets down his beer to pose for a pic.
Then, Deon, Bobby, and Allen got revenge on the Zombie!umm....8 miles?

No comments:

Post a Comment