Sunday, June 15, 2008

I played too hard this weekend....again. After dinner and an awful movie Friday night (Zohan) I hit the trails early Saturday morning for a few miles with a few people enticed to showing up by Vicky's mass email efforts.

Pictured from left to right are Dan, Aaron, Dee, Vicky, and Rob also known as "Oh Captain My captain." This nickname comes from the movie Dead Poets Society. Rob belongs to a club called the Dead Runners Society. Sounds like a fitting club for a zombie. Rob considers himself and I kindred spirits, and I consider Rob maybe even more zombie-like after this pic.

There was not a slow runner in the mix this morning. I actually did ok, keeping up with the spirited pace set by Vicky. I did take a good fall along the way, but as always, planted my water bottle in toe ground and rolled out of it. I seem to always end up on my back when I fall, which picks up a lot of mud or dirt and makes for more impressive stains on the shirt.Rob kicks me to see if I am conscious after my fall.

We ran the Snake Run circuit to Rock City, then headed north down the switchback of the Jelly Legs trail. It was somewhere along here that one of Aaron and Dee's dogs got separated from us. We backtracked a little, and then split into 3 groups, and headed back towards the lower parking lot. This smart dalmatian doggie had it's fill of trail running and had went back to the car, much to our relief. Aaron and Dee tool their dogs home and were to meet us back in 30 minutes, so Dan, Vicky, Rob and I took out for another jaunt. We ran the lower trail all the way to where it almost intersects with the new paved trail, jumped the railroad tracks, and enjoyed the return trip via the paved trail featured in last weeks Tatur Estim8ur. Dan had not seen this new trail, and was drooling thinking about getting his bike out on it.

Along the lower trail (which will be used in the Barkley Book Fair day run), Dan not wanting to be outdone by my fall, took a fall of his own. I was about 10 meters behind him as he rounded
a curve in the trail.
I did not see him fall, but I heard it.
He was up in a flash, dusted himself off, and resumed running. That rascal did get extra points for a little blood to go with the mud.

We ended up with 5 1/2 miles or so. Aaron and Dee returned, Dan left for some afternoon engagements, four returned for more fun on the trails, and I headed to Veterans Park to catch up with the RunnersWorld runners finishing their long runs. Click on the RunnersWorldTulsa blog for a report on the fun they had. That blog is definitely a rated G blog, whereas this one is rated PG-13. So let the viewer beware!


My friend Charlie finished an easy 6 miles, but his nipples did not fare so well. 
Can you say OUCH??? Tip for the day: BAND-AIDS

My friend Joe headed off the problem with a different approach.Just let 'em shine!

Dana and Kathy discuss running plans. (Right....I bet their talking about their no-good husbands! :-Þ)


I had gotten there too late to run with the group, but Dana and I did a little run/walk around Zink Lake.

Then at 10:00 pm, I met Brian and Kathy in Jenks and we ran 14 miles on the Creek Turnpike trail. It was humid beyond belief. Good training for night running, running on tired legs, and running when you're sweating all your electrolytes out. Despite all of this, I ran like I had fresh legs. I actually had a great run.

Kathy shows off her new manicure.

Brian peers into the creek.

1. Use trail with friends (got that right)
2. Store valuables out of sight (I think I did)
3. Cell phone (yup, got mine....Dang, I sweat all over it!)
4. Call 911 (Nope, my cell phone is ruined from my sweat!)
5. Curfew??? (Oops!)

No comments:

Post a Comment