Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Lamentations

I'm sorry I have not blogged much lately. Last Wednesday night, all 3 of my dogs got out of the yard and ran away. This has happened before and I have always found them nearby and brought them home. But this night, Jake (the puppy 1.5 years old) wanted to see the world. By the time I got their leashes and ran after them, they were off our street. I wondered if they might have gone to explore Turkey Mountain where I take them running, so I came back home, grabbed my headlamp, and headed out. It was muddy, so I was sure I could spot their tracks and at least tell if they has went that way and which direction they were going. But, I never saw a dog track. After an hour, Dana and I got in both vehicles and drove the neighborhood, and many areas within a 3 mile radius, and then walked for 5 miles on Turkey mountain looking for them, but never found them. At 3:30 am, we finally crashed on the couch and went to sleep. At 7:15 the next morning, my cell phone rang and someone had found two of our dogs. They were 3 miles away, and we rushed over to pick them up. Rocky and Jake were resting in a man's garage, totally wiped out from running all night long. Although they were only 3 miles away, I am sure they had been on the move for 9 hours, as they were so sore they could hardly walk. But, we did not have Ginger.
We have driven a few hundred miles, combing the neighborhoods and nearby suburbs looking for her. I have made 4 trips so far to the county animal shelter. (Amazing how they cannot tell you over the phone if they have picked up a chocolate lab. If they would at least tell me they had picked up a big brown dog that would help....but no, you have to drive down there to look and it so heartbreaking to see all the dogs there, and not find our Ginger!) We have also been to the animal shelter in Sapulpa and Sand Springs. At night, Jake and Rocky just howl and cry. It is so sad to hear them weep for her. Other than an overnight stay at the vet, she has never been away from Rocky since she was a puppy, and never has been away from Jake since he was born. Until now, she has never missed a meal, and has never been away from people who love her.

It's been 5 days....

No comments:

Post a Comment