Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Lake McMurtry report


Last Saturday was the Lake McMurtry 50K. This was the last year for quite a while that I could run it, and although I kind of wanted to volunteer, I also wanted to run it one more time. Next year, Tatur is taking on the huge responsibility of hosting this race, and I have agreed to RD the event. I can only hope to come close to doing as good of job as Earl Blewett has done for the past 10 years.

This race has had all extremes of weather. Last year is snowed just before the race and was brrrr cold and muddy. The year before, it was hot....up to 95 degrees and nearly melted me down to the point that I had my 1st DNF. The year before, it was wonderful weather, and the year before it was another mudfest having had rained all the night before.

This year, we were treated to high water in the lake which resulted in 16 water crossings for those in the 50K. Tatur Uno and I took the early start so we could be through while there was still food. Secretly, I think Uno likes to have an extra hour or two for carbo(beer)loading after the race. We hit the 1st water crossing about a mile into the race. I looked left and right to see if there was a hope for crossing without wading, but no such luck!I am no stranger to running with wet feet, but this was only the 1st of 16 crossings. The 3rd water crossing was waist deep, and I nearly baptised myself after stepping in a hole!In retrospect, a canoe, waders, or a raft would have made this crossing easier!Uno and I ran steady but slow enough that nearly everyone in the race who started 1 hour or 90 minutes after us was able to catch us and pass our sorry asses! But, Uno was quick to point out that he did not see any of these "faster" runners at the Hogeye Marathon last weekend. (Good point!)

Still, we finished in 8:04 or so, just slightly faster than last years time, and we tore up a few hamburgers. On a very sad note, however, no one had brought any beer and Uno had to go without!

I got to see a few people finish including my good friend, John Hargrove from Arcadia. We always finish close to the same time in our races, and this time, had I not taken the early start, he would have beaten me by a few minutes.Here are a couple of other questionable characters hanging out at the race. Oh Captain My Captain (Rob Phillip) poses for yet another silly snapshot! John sits pondering as to where all the cute chicks are. Head Tatur is in deep concentration about how to shed 3 more pounds so he can be under 200 for the first time since 7th grade.



Next year, I will keep the race much the same as it has been for years. I would like to work the "Leap of Doom" back into the course if possible. 
I will have to get the park officials to give the OK to that as it may involve running through some of the campsite areas. Also, if anyone knows the history of McMurtry, I would like to be enlightened. For who is this lake named? Might make a good mascot for the race maybe?

OMG! Look at that white boy jump!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment