Saturday, November 24, 2007

Running and Turkey Mountain wildlife


This morning I ran with the RunnersWorld peeps at 8:00, although I rolled out of bed at 7:55. The darned alarm would not rattle my bones out of the sack. So I was a few tics late and caught the line oftrail runners after they had ran around 3/4 mile. We then ran the lowest trail, crossed the railroad tracks, and came back on the gravelled trail. I then did a little 2 mile loop and finished with around 4.5 miles.

Then it was round one of Dana's back-to-back long run, her last long run before Sunmart. We had intended to get 20 miles in, but only got around 16-17.

It seemed to be colder at 10:30 than it was at 8:00, but it was because of the wind. We ran a modified yellow trail loop which has a nice 3/4 mile smooth downhill trail, and then ran the snake and hairpin trail. Then, we refueled and did it all again. 


At one point, Dana was ahead of me and then froze. She held her arms out and motioned for me to be quiet. It seemed she had spotted a deer on the trail just ahead. But as we got closer, it begin to look more like a dog.And then strangely, as we got right up to it, it was in fact someone's Golden Retriever. I couldn't tell if it was a doe or a buck. You know, eyesight does go when you get up in years. 























I made a quick run back to the house, and picked up Ginger, who was delighted to get out for a run. She is so silly. She will run right beside me, then edge ahead, and then panic and cut around to my back. Then, she wants to be right by my side, either under or on top of my feet. 

Tomorrow, we'll try to get 10-15 miles in. Then, it's taper time for her til she does her 1st ultra in Huntsville Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment