Monday, November 19, 2007

Catching up on things

Story of my life I suppose. Running both Saturday and Sunday has left me a lot to talk about but has left little time to post, but I'll try to catch up a little....
Johnny and I left Friday and drove what seemed like forever to Mountain Home, Arkansas to run the Mountain Home Marathon. 


Part of the proceeds from the marathon went to orphanages in Kenya, which seemed like a good cause. 
An 8:00 am start greeted us with 43 degree temps....ahh perfect! Bright blue skies, just a hint of a breeze, life was good. There was a half marathon and a 5K to go along with the marathon. By far, the marathoners were outnumbered. The halfers were shipped out to the half way point but the 26.2ers lined up and started out with the 5K walkers and speedsters. It was really a mixed bag. We did a big loop around the Arkansas State campus and returned to the starting line where us long distancers left on our continuing journey. The entire race was on asphalt and chip-n-tar surfaces--much softer than concrete :) The aid stations were every 2 miles apart and had all the goodies that you usually see in ultras. Route 66 could learn a little about aid station fare. A couple of the aid stations had themes-- one was North Pole style, one was western.All were very friendly and great cheer leaders, making up for the lack of spectaters. There was specific traffic control only at one highway crossing, but police or sheriff patrolling all day along the way, and traffic was sparse anyway. The 10 miles following the 5K loop were hilly but not so steep to kick your butt. Probably half of the runners ran up all of the hills while the other half walked. Bet you can guess what half I was! :-Þ
Along the way I chatted with a few of the runners. One runner was a 63 year old gray haired woman who wore a yellow dressy type sweater, running shoes, an Adidas t-shirt, a stocking hat, and a LONG DRESS!! This lady had been a serious marathoner 30 years ago, and then after a 30 year absence, picked up the habit again. She NEVER walked. Her husband was sagging for her, and even when he handed her a bottle or a banana, she never missed a stride. I passed her early in the 5K portion, and then she passed me at mile 4ish. I caught her at mile 7 or 8, and passed her, then she edged ahead on an uphill. Then I made my move. I built a lead that I thought would stand. Then, coming down a long hill at mile 12, she blew by me!! I ate her dust for many more miles before finally catching her at mile 22 and I elbowed her into a ditch!(Just kidding!!) Somehow I found a 2nd wind and had a good finish and she had started to fade a little. She did finish just over 5 hours and was pushing so hard at the end that she staggered through the shoot having spent all of her reserves. What an awesome performance, and wearing a long dress at that!
I managed to kick my pace up enough to finish in 4:56, which I was happy with.
Mr Tatur Uno was not quite his usual speedy self finishing just a few tics over 5 hours.
After a little post race eating, a couple cold beers, and a shower, we embarked on our 5 hour drive home!

No comments:

Post a Comment