Sunday, September 18, 2011

Pumpkin Holler Training Run

It's late Sunday night. I have a BUSY week next week, but I need to get a post done. Saturday morning, me and 5 friends left out early to go to Pumpkin Holler to run the loop. All five are gunning for the 50K, and Dana and Caroline are the only 50K veterans of the five. I was the designated Crew Babe, since I am SUPPOSED to be tapering for my 50K next week at Flat Rock .It's easy to take a good picture here--just hold up the camera--any direction--and push the button. Presto!! Works every time.

We posed for a group pic, cleared our Garmins, and headed out. Lots of cheery faces. It's early, right?

Another group pic. I was gonna set the timer, but setting the canon on a narrow steel beam and seeing it fall 60 feet into the river did not seem like a good idea. So, I am the one behind the camera. Pictured from left to right are Pat, Sandra, Suzanne, Dana, and Caroline.

Ok--we're off now. Pat and Sandra were doing a run-a-minute, walk-a-minute routine. Suzanne stayed with them for awhile, and then broke off and did her own thing and moved ahead.
Dana and Caroline ran, walking when the need was there. Caroline had ran 11 the night before, and Dana had not ran in over a week, with her last attempt at a long run ending prematurely due to nausea. Both were operating at a relaxed pace today--a good call considering 28 miles was on the menu. I ran out with them about a mile, and then ran back to the Jeep and assumed my crew duties. I drove ahead, checking on them as I passed, and stopped where the first aid station would be in the race.

I was met by this dog, who had a very nasty attitude last time we met. This time, he came to the back of the Jeep as I was looking through our stash of goodies for a snack. I decided to share a ham sandwich with him, and we became friends. After a back rub and some ear scratching, he even wagged his tail. Another bite of my sandwich sealed the deal!

My plan to get some miles in, was to run back to meet the group and then run back with them. I met Pat, Sandra, and Suzanne first, and handed off the Jeep key to them, and ran on to meet Dana and Caroline. In this pic, Pat forced an impressive run for the camera. Nice job--as it was a steep uphill--haha!
I ran back to the Jeep with Dana and Caroline, fed and watered them, and then re-fed myself.

Seeing them off, I was able to follow along, taking pictures, often waiting for the perfect setting. This shaded trail was strangely illuminated by leaks of sun rays. Miles and miles of this scenic course are under a canopy of trees, leaning to greet each other over the road.

As I was taking the pics of my runners, I heard movement behind me and turned to see this beauty posing for photo. The flash was startling to her, and she bolted off into the woods in a couple of bounds.

The groups got further and further apart, and it got to where I was able to run less and less. That was OK, and I was really enjoying being on the giving end of this trip for a change.

Dana and Caroline near the Jeep for a refill.

One of the many postcard pretty sections of the course.

An artsy fartsy black and white shot.

There'll be plenty of fan support on the course. These horses--at around mile 25 on the loop, have came to greet us every time we've been there. They are very social horses, and like their faces touched, and even give nice horse kisses. They seem so excited to see us come by.

Pat stopped at mile 25, having run farther than he ever had. He ran a great pace, and only tired near the end. I think he'll rock his first 50K. Sandra made it around a half mile further than Pat, and took a ride in when the sag wagon came by. Suzanne kept a very steady pace throughout the day, and completed the entire 28.2 mile loop.

Another horse picture. This sweetheart is at mile 27 on the loop. She has the prettiest blue eyes.

Dana and Caroline seemed to feel great, and would not think of doing anything less than the whole loop. Dana maintained that if she finished the loop, she would not have to do any more long runs until race day. that's a 4 week taper--I think she'll do a medium long run on Turkey or something--I'm sure she won't be able to stand the agony of the taper.

After servicing the girls the last time, I drove on to the finish and ran out to meet them. Dana snatched my camera and took this shot. What a poser, huh? I ended up with 13.6 for the day--with some aggressive hill running--SOME--not a LOT. I ran the downhills hard, and the flats at a steady pace. When I was with the gang, I'd do whatever they felt like doing. I felt like I did about the right amount of mileage for my taper--this coming from a guy who NEVER tapers correctly.

I told the group when they started out on this bridge, when they saw it again, they'd be through. So here they are--on their second crossing.

And another picture of the most beautiful river in Oklahoma.

Here is a group of soon-to-be-ultra-runners. A nice day of running, and mission accomplished!

No comments:

Post a Comment