Monday, January 25, 2010

Run # 2 and #3 of the weekend.




Twas a spur-of-the-moment thing--always the most fun--that we planned an all-night run from Jenks to NSU and back. Jason, Kathy, Roman, Caroline, and I took off from QT in Jenks and ran the Creek turnpike trail. Mapmyrun.com indicated this was a 14.4 mile one way, but two different Garmins measured in at 15.5 and 15.7. So let's just call it 25K out, and back.Kathy was using this as her last long run before the Rocky Raccoon 100 miler, Roman and Caroline had similar reasons for this run as they are both doing the 50 miler at Rocky. Jason is doing Desert Rats next summer, and needs all the long runs he can get. I just like to run, and I had done the last half of my morning 12 miler at a fairly hard pace (for an old guy, anyway.)I saw the back sides of my friends more often than not this night. Just some fatigue from the morning I am thinking.
13 miles into the run, at a nearby gas station, we had a mass potty break. Here, while waiting for the girls, Jason helps Roman stretch out his leg? back?
Caroling emerges from the restroom. "NEXT!"
Kathy does her best Catra pose.
Somewhere after the 13 mile point, I realized I had forgot to apply Dana's Better Butt Butter, and the beginnings of some chafing was setting in. I also had my Smart Wools gradually grinding the ball of my left foot into the beginnings of hamburger meat. 
And to add to my whininess, my back was twinging a little, more so when I walked. I felt it best to stop after 15.5 miles, add that to my previous 12 earlier in the day and count it as a good day of running. We had Crew Chicklette Sandra running sag for us, and she took me back the 15 miles to my car and I called it a night.
So as a result, I got plenty of sleep and was worth more than a wasted sloth the next day.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Late Sunday afternoon, I decided to run a few miles on Turkey Mountain. I had not taken the dogs for a run in a while, and they were excited to get out.They both stay leashed until we get to the trail, and then Rocky gets to run free. He behaves, comes when he is told, and never gets more than 50 yards away. Jake, on the other hand, has a history of wanting to see the world. He stays leashed, and powers me up the hills.We headed up to the pond on the blue trail for their first swimming session. To my surprise, neither of them even got a drink. I have seen Rocky break ice to swim, but not today.


The boys usually are good for 4 miles.... when going more, Jake will be running, and then just STOP, and a couple of times, I have flew right over the top of him. Four miles is about his max.




They were more enthusiastic about swimming the 2nd time around.


We ended up with 4.4 miles, a run that I needed. The Snake Trail is still very muddy, but the trails on the east mountain seem to be a lot better.

The sun was setting........and while I would have liked to tack another mile or two on, there was not enough daylight and the boys were ready to go home.No doubt, the boys were happy to get a run in, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment