Monday, February 1, 2010

made it through another weekend. :-)




It's been a tough winter lately. We are just getting through our 2nd major winter blast, and both were accompanied with lotsa snow and ice, slick roads, and very cold temps. I need to run more than I have been able to, and my moods reflect it. Coffee sales have been up in this area since the decline of my mileage. But nothing beats the thrill of a 5-8 mile run with no time constraints and so set route. Just running wherever my mind-in-neutral takes me. I have been able to get a couple of short runs in with friends from RunnersWorld.Just a pic to show that there are a few other crazy peeps sympathetic to my cause who also run in the snow.Saturday morning, on what usually is a paved bike trail, is this day more like some technical single track.Somebody answer me--do ducks and geese have no feelings in their feet? I'll see geese and ducks walking around on snow and ice like it was summer. Apparently, the 33 degree water is no biggie for them.My reward for my Saturday run!!!!

I worked a home and garden show this past weekend, and I got a lot of cross training in, if you can count standing on concrete for hours training. But I did squeeze a short 3 miler Saturday morning on Turkey Mountain.An inserted pic taken the day before, near my house. I drive this road almost every day, and this day was extraordinary.Sunday morning, in the fog, at the trail head.I was not sure what to expect. It looked like it might be a muddy venture, but for the most part, the mud was frozen and crunchy. There were several trees bent over, with around a half inch of ice, and heavy tufts of soft snow.No, the trail does not go through that. It was amazing how much snow was clinging to the branches and boughs.I know everyone wants to see my handsome mug!A little climbing, but with screw shoes, it was no problem.Took the yellow trail, upper leg first.Everyone shoulda got out there....it was an awesome run. Actually, the trails were in great shape, but I am sure today, with the temperature at 40, it's pretty muddy.Could we get a little more snow on those twigs?Lower yellow trail running through the rocks.I'm such a poser. Note to self: when setting the timer for a "running" shot, remember to lift the back leg off the ground.Ok, this is stupid, but often whilst passing here, I get the Who song "Miles and Miles" stuck in my head. "I can see for miles and miles and miles and miles and miles...." Not today.

well, enough snow. Lets get that crap melted off.

No comments:

Post a Comment