Sunday, January 24, 2010

Night Running



Twas a spur-of-the-moment thing--always the most fun--that we planned an all-night run from Jenks to NSU and back. Jason, Kathy, Roman, Caroline, and I took off from QT in Jenks and ran the Creek turnpike trail. Mapmyrun.com indicated this was a 14.4 mile one way, but two different Garmins measured in at 15.5 and 15.7. So let's just call it 25K out, and back.Kathy was using this as her last long run before the Rocky Raccoon 100 miler, Roman and Caroline had similar reasons for this run as they are both doing the 50 miler at Rocky. Jason is doing Desert Rats next summer, and needs all the long runs he can get. I just like to run, and I had done the last half of my morning 12 miler at a fairly hard pace (for an old guy, anyway.)I saw the back sides of my friends more often than not this night. Just some fatigue from the morning I am thinking.
13 miles into the run, at a nearby gas station, we had a mass potty break. Here, while waiting for the girls, Jason helps Roman stretch out his leg? back?
Caroling emerges from the restroom. "NEXT!"
Kathy does her best Catra pose.
Somewhere after the 13 mile point, I realized I had forgot to apply Dana's Better Butt Butter, and the beginnings of some chafing was setting in. I also had my Smart Wools gradually grinding the ball of my left foot into the beginnings of hamburger meat. And to add to my whininess, my back was twinging a little, more so when I walked. I felt it best to stop after 15.5 miles, add that to my previous 12 earlier in the day and count it as a good day of running. We had Crew Chicklette Sandra running sag for us, and she took me back the 15 miles to my car and I called it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment