Sunday, October 19, 2008

My last three days




Recovery was going well. I had ran a little (4.8 miles) on Tuesday, another 4 on Wednesday both days at a very leisurely pace. Thursday, I ran with the RunnersWorld group and ran 8.5 miles. The first 3 were at a spirited pace, then the next 3 were at almost 5K pace, at least for me. I ran the last 1/4 mile to the store at an all out sprint, trying to stay ahead of my friend Brian, who managed to blow by me 100 yards from our finish. Then Roman and I ran back out to make sure one of our girls made it in OK since it is getting dark earlier. Like I said, recovery seemed to be going well.

Friday, Dana and I got up early and took the dogs to Turkey Mountain for a run. Both boys were pumped to go and tugged and pulled hard on the leashes. Jake was pulling on my leash so hard that I was braking hard while going UP Lip Buster!Is this the face of an ornery dog or what? I figured they would settle down once they had their swim.We let Rocky run free after that since he minds pretty well. Jake still was yanking my arm off trying to stay up with his dad. On their second swim though, Jake just swam to the other side of the small pond and away he went with Rocky in pursuit. Dana took to the trails to try to head them off, and I bolted through the thicket trying to follow them. Our hot pursuit went quickly cold and in 2 or 3 minutes, they were out of sight and earshot. I told Dana of a shortcut back to the road and I took off for the YMCA where I thought they might be heading to since there is another nice pond there. But I had no run left in me. All the yanking and braking from holding onto Jake's leash had my legs useless for anything other than a shuffle. I was painfully slow getting to the Y and when there, saw no signs of the dogs. Dana shortly showed up with the Jeep and we headed home. I logged 4 of the lousiest miles I have ever "ran". I felt like I had been run over by a freight train, and could have easily tossed my cookies. Upon getting home, I took a shower, crawled into bed, called into work, and slept for about 36 hours straight. I ran a temp as high as 101, and had absolutely no energy. (Oh, and because our dogs have tags with our phone numbers, some very considerate people called and told us they had found Rocky and Jake so they are now home, safe and sound.)

But as is my answer for most anything, I just needed a good run. So late Saturday afternoon, Dana and I went out and got in another 4 miles and this time it was a good run. But boy was my sleep cycle ever screwed up. Dana had rented about 5 movies, and we were up until 3:00 Sunday morning watching movies and then slept in Sunday until around 11:00. All this meant I missed running with my Saturday group (sorry) and the trail runners that run early on Sunday at Turkey. Boy have I ever been out of it! I had also planned on biking with Bobby and Susan, but Dana needed to get her long run for the week in since she is running the 50K at Sunmart this December. (Sorry Bobby and Susan! We'll catch you maybe next week?)

So Dana and I packed an ice chest and parked our Jeep in the upper parking lot on Turkey Mt and ran a course I devised for our Sunmart training. It consists of a modified out-and-back on the upper yellow trail, then the 6 hour Snake Run course, which together totals 7 miles. These trails are fairly flat, are not extremely rocky, and there are a fair share of tree roots just like in Huntsville. After this 7 miles, we did the 1st out-and-back again for a total of 10 miles. I set up our Garmins to display the time, the distance, and the average pace for the run.Since Dana would like to break 8 hours at Sunmart, I told her to do make sure to keep the 15s off of her pace.Pretty nice job for Turkey Mountain trails, I'd say!

Actually, she can average 15:25 per mile and finish under 8 hours. She ran a steady pace, slowing only by a few seconds per mile in mile 9 and 10. Now, if she can triple that effort without killing her coach!

No comments:

Post a Comment