Saturday, December 19, 2009

Lotsa stuff Saturday




Busy yet leisurely day today. I got up early to get my Saturday long run in, which this week was only 7 miles. In fact, I got up too early....coulda slapped the snooze a few more times! Since I was almost an hour early, I stopped by the Turkey Mountain parking lot to check in on the T-TOTs, a group of newbie trailrunners that has started running on Saturday mornings.Celebrity runner Tom Dorthy, far right, was leading the fast group. Doubt that I coulda kept up with him today. Tom recently qualified for Boston, and he runs at Turkey a lot....loves to fly. But I was just stopping to say Hi, and had to get across the river to meet my marathon training group.

This was the second Saturday long run for the new session. Our group, Faster than Oprah, has grown to 20 or 21 peeps, and this morning we had 12 of them out. (The rest musta stayed all snuggled up under the covers!) I'll spare you all the road running pix, but if you must, click on the above link to check out our fun.

The best part of the Saturday run is breakfast afterward. This morning was no exception. We hit our usual spot, the Blue Dome Diner.Several times while our group was training for the Route 66 Marathon, we'd run by this hole-in-the-wall joint, and the smell of breakfast, and HOME FRIES, was amazing.It's a quirky place (like we're not quirky people!), and all there is not a matching coffee mug in the house. One day, you might get a 6 ounce cup, and today, Bobby got a mug that surely held a quart. Mine was quite fashionable, decorated with pink flamingos! One thing though....the coffee is not really all that great....but of course, I am a huge coffee-snob! More on GOOD coffee later in this post.

Then, upon getting home, Dana had her trail duds on and wanted to hit the mountain for a few trail miles. I was happy to oblige! :-))<~~~TZ smiling with a double chin! We took the yellow trail, the Ho-Chi as it is called. Lots of ups and downs, rocks and roots....just how I like it! My morning run had averaged about 10:30 miles (subtracting water and bathroom stops) and around 13 minute miles overall. Trail miles are slower, and although we were not pushing the pace, we were more in the 17-18 minute range. No need to hurry....just an easy run!Always a great view of the river!On top of Turkey. This is the upper yellow trail, aka the Ridge Trail.Dana kicks it up a notch as we head down the hill.

Upon returning home, we found a mysterious box on our porch! It seems our friends, Steve and Kathleen akaHappy Trails had sent us Christmas goodies from Colorado! Kathleen must have spent hours knitting this awesome scarf, and it's made of MERINO WOOL!! (Gotta say, I might sneak that out every now and then.) Steve, sort of a coffee-snob himself, sent me 2 lbs of beans.These beans are roasted in Colorado in small batches at 6,500 feet. I dunno if that makes a difference, but this is some of the best coffee I have ever had!! TZ and Dana are all grins!!

No comments:

Post a Comment