Sunday, December 27, 2009

Always like to run on the edge.




Christmas day, Dana worked. I had taken her to work, and then drove Jessie my daughter-in-law home to Owasso. Now, 10:30 on Christmas day, all email was read, and the sun was shining. Eight inches of snow blanketed Turkey Mountain, and I could not stand it. I HAD to run.Temps were in the low 20s, and there was a mild but cold breeze...nothing a Patagonia fleece and a ski coat could not handle. I was out the door!

Deep snow. Nice powdery fluffy snow. The kind that just does not make a good snowball. It was halfway up to my knees for most of the day.

I was surprised to see that I was not the first out here. From all the tracks I found on the trails. I think 2 adults, one youngster, one big dog, and one small dog had roamed the trails earlier in the day. I did take a couple of spurs over undisturbed snow though.Hard to see where the trail actually is, from this pic anyway. The trail is beat down, almost a rut in places, and the snow here was often knee deep.Pretty much fine powder, and it was still blowing and drifting. Most had blown off the bridge though.

Following in someone's footsteps. Still, the snow was not beat down enough to make it possible for a sustained run.So I spent 2 hours change post-holing my way over 5 miles of trail. Here was some of the knee deep snow. You'd think I'd have frozen feet. I remember as a kid having my toes so cold the itched so insanely bad. No probs today though. I would have shortened my outing before I lost some toes. I was wearing some cheapie hiking boots, which I guess are waterproof, but I must RAVE on my SmartWools. I have worn them for years, and got a pair this year for Christmas! :-)And deeper.

I don't Twitter, but I did take some pix with my phone and put them on Facebook as I went along. Problem with a touch-screen phone is they do not work with gloves. I had to shed the gloves for the pix, but for phoning friends, I found another way to initiate the calls.That's right. The tip of a nose works just fine!

Between the rocks. Calves are really getting a workout. The lower yellow trail has lots of large slabs of rocks at varying angles....and today they were hidden. Several times, I was on my butt or back before I even knew what happened. Of course, it was like falling into a huge pile of soft marshmallows. FUN!

Lovin the sun!

A novices attempt at a panorama shot.

Second time by, this time on the return trip.

Slowest pace ever for 5 miles on Turkey, but a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment