Monday, August 24, 2009

TZ does the Mud Run




I recently turned 50 years old. I fully intend to live to 100, and I also fully intend to be active up until the day I croak. You would think at my age, I would have finally gotten past silly foolish things, but I have to admit to my faithful readers, that NO, I still act like a child, and it's getting worse all the time. I like the movie, "The curious Case of Benjamin Button, who was old when he was born, and got younger as the years wore on. I want to be like that!

Now at 50 years old, you should not like to "play" in the mud, but Saturday night, I played, wallowed, and frolicked in the sloppiest slimiest mud you could ever imagine at the Tulsa Mud Run.This was the 2nd year for this event, put on by my TATUR friends, and raised money for the Tulsa Firefighters Burn Camp. Nearly 1000 people ran this 2 mile race which had 8 mud pits to deal with along with a few fun obstacles thrown in.

People came in the bare minimum clothing, and some came in costumes. Some came in formal dress as well.You can always count on Carrie for a funny get-up.

EWWW! Green Mud!!!

Christal and Jessica added a little makeup and skipped a few days filing their horns down to complete their look.

Somehow all color was brown after their run.

Lisa does weekend duty as a prison guard. Kathy, Joye, Candice, and Carmie got a weekend pass to come do this run.

Jason before/Jason after.

For these guys, it was just a day at the office.

Can you believe the blond chick wearing a WHITE DRESS to an event like that???

OMG! That gal is RUNNING THE RACE in that WHITE DRESS!!

Oh....it was me. You know I'll do anything for attention....and a free beer.A nice outfit complete with Betty Boop undies.

The first mud pit was almost knee deep, and would not let a runner excape without sucking a shoe off. My 2nd trip through took a good 5 minutes, and I was not surrendering my Asics Trabucos, and my Dean Karnazes insoles! I am sure there are at least 50 shoes buried there.

The 2nd mud pit had a structure to crawl under....not a terrible thing, but the worst was yet to come.

The Tulsa Area Triathletes did the 3rd mud pit. Runners had to climb, scoot, or dive through the tires into the sloshy mud to make it through this one.Funny that some people seemed to make it through without full frontal mud. Hmmm.... I was pretty dirty before this obstacle, and had a 60 pound skirt after this bog! I ran the whole second half of the race holding my skirt up!!

Then came the water slide. Of course, there was a nice mud pit at the bottom.
Then, we ran a second lap and we were done. For me, this was no race. I ran with leg weights, or so it seemed, and a 65 pound body suit/skirt. I was more tired after these 2 miles than after my 14 miler earlier that morning!

I was glad to see that Heidi got better acquainted with the slop on her second lap.

A lot of hard work went into pulling this off. My TATUR friends and RunnersWorld worked tirelessly several days right up to race time. Brian and Kathy, you guys are awesome. My great friend Sandra also took the bull by the horns and saw to it that lumber, several dump trucks of dirt, and most important, 8 kegs of beer were donated. Many other people whose names I do not know worked hours and hours putting the course together. Many other friends from Tatur and the RW group volunteered with the race. I made a fool of myself, which I love doing, and drank more than my share of the tasty beer. Will I ever grow up???Nah....I doubt it!

No comments:

Post a Comment