Friday, July 31, 2009

A tale of two birthdays


I have been a little reluctant to post anything about my past birthday. It was a birthday with a zero....not necessarily a bad thing, unless as it is in my case, it also has a five in it!

My kids took me out for a dinner a few days before the deed. Why a few days early? Maybe they wanted to get it over with in case I kicked the bucket early? Hmmm.

Then, Dana with the help of my best friends ever put together a surprise party for me! The "supposed" plan for Dana and I was to go to McNellies for a quiet dinner and beer....like a night at McNellie's is ever quiet. I was completely clueless. I walked into the east dining room at McNellies to ALL of my Tatur/RW friends!!!I was flabbergasted! What a nice surprise!! Now, I got a yummy McNellies burger, some tasty beer, and a German Chocolate birthday cake!!! (Thanks to Dana who knows it's my fave!)OK, haha....funny!Rock Star Ed picked me a good beer....always trust his choices! He does not disappoint!I am not sure who all put this all together. I suspect Sandra was right in the middle of it.A big thank you to Lisa who helped Dana work out the details. Lisa says she NEVER takes a good picture, but she did here!:-)

Another nice surprise: my son Chuck and his wife Vanessa joined us for the fun!Now, if we can get Chuck into running! Vanessa already is running a little.
Good food and good friends. The best birthday ever.
#####################################################################################
Eleven years ago when Dana and I met, we discovered that our birthdays were 2 days apart. July 27 and July 29. I thought it would be perfect if we got married on July 28th, but the very sternly vetoed that notion.

Roman and Lisa had asked me about having a surprise party for her a few weeks back, and I, being the very absent minded sloth that I am, almost forgot that it was even mentioned. But Roman and Lisa, with the help of Sandra and Kathy put a party together a mere 3 days after mine. They had asked where Dana likes to eat, and I mentioned Tin Star. Lisa shot that down, and I then told her that Dana was a sushi girl. So, even though Kathy would never have fish touch her lips, and Bobby thinks all fish should be breaded and fried to the point that it resembles a chicken fried steak, the party was booked at In the Raw. (No, for my out-of-town readers....that is not a strip bar!)

Thursday, as always, our group had a river run of 3-6 miles. Dana had rode her bike to RunnersWorld, and I had drove the Jeep. The plan, supposedly, was for a few of us to go to Leon's after the run, as we usually do. I was supposed to stall after RW closed to allow everyone to get to In the Raw, and then tell Dana I decided to NOT go eat with our friends at Leon's. Well, this was not working too well at all, and Dana was actually getting mad about standing our friends up, leaving them expecting us at ANOTHER restaurant. I somehow managed to get her in the door and she was blown away by everyone being there waiting to surpirse her with a party, balloons, and cake.The 3 amigos: Susan, Terrie, and Sandra. Sandra made the cake, a Weight Watchers recipe made of angelfood, pineapples, and strawberries.It was great. (Wish I hada got 2nds!)

Not everyone got sushi. Brian was brave, Wade had a rice roll as well. After the rolls were gone, it was time for the wasabi challenge.Wade was a cool as a cucumber, but he eats jalapenos on his Cheerios for breakfast. Brian threw the wad of green goo down the back of his throat and acted like Mr. Cool but then made a face to oblige those of us with cameras ready.TZ savors a green ball of fire and promptly melts down.Dana and I are blessed to have such great friends. Pulling off 2 surprise parties in 3 days is amazing. You are more than family!!

No comments:

Post a Comment