Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The little tornado that could




Last Thursday, I was not awakened by my alarm. My cats did a good job as a back-up though. Our power was off, and I quickly showered and left for work--not really late. I read Facebook, and the tales of storm damage littered my wall--so to speak. It seems that we either had some high winds around 5:00 to 5:30, or maybe it was a tornado. The reports of damage were amazingly near my house. I never heard any sirens, but I am a sound sleeper. Someone said on Facebook that the sirens went off, but should have never been sounded. But the damage reports rolled in, and in my opinion, we had a small tornado that skipped across Tulsa striking here and there, or maybe it was just strong straight winds--or both.

These are a few pictures of the RiverPark trail on the east side between 61st and 71st Street. This was just after the cone skipped past my neighborhood, and made its way to 61st and Lewis before demoing Ace hardware. Then, it did some tree work in Southern Hills, and then more in Lafortune park. (This little tornado does not like golfers!!) Then it headed east northeast and plowed into Brian and Kathy's neighborhood. Now the damage was not like some of the monster tornadoes that mow down everything in their path, but it sure chewed up some trees, and helped the roofing companies out.

One mile from my house, as the crow flies.1/2 mile away.Four miles Southwest.Two miles Southwest.Much closer to home--VERY close--Jake does not like tornadoes.Nope, not one bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment