Monday, September 4, 2017

Cracked Hippies and the Red Dirt Shuffle

A couple of friends who were eager to get their feet wet in race directing revived the Red Dirt Shuffle and had this race last week. I was eager to run it since I had not been able to before and signed up for the half marathon.
Alicia Bell and Jesse Deanna did a good job of promoting this race at Lake McMurtry via social media, and there was a good turnout. A combination of unexpected circumstances led to Jesse having to step back, and Alicia powered through the administrative and preparation duties and pulled off a near flawless event. Michelle Bates, RJ Chiles, and Kathryn "Abby" Ivey helped in marking the course, while Mike Rives, Steve Zuniga, Jbob Jones, and Betsy Gerber helped out with the morning madness of registration and aid station setup.


I drove in from Tulsa and arrived uncharacteristically early and had plenty of time to hang out with my great friends. You can always count on Chrisy for hugs and selfies.

Both the half and quarter marathons started right on time. and within a half mile, we were spread out enough to settle into a good slow-run pace.

I ran most of the way with Johnna, although we caught up with Lynna, Jodee, Candy, and Gina and basically laughed our way through the woods.

Lake McMurtry has actually 5 different trails--two on the west side where we have out April run, two in the east side (we used the Red Trail) and then a new trail that connects the east and west sides. The Red Trail is a favorite for mountain biker since it really does not have any super steep hills, and practically no technical areas. It does have winding, twisting single track that is so fun to run.

We were treated to partly to mostly cloudy skies, and for a late August day, it was nearly pleasant weather for a run. Notice how calm the water is on this pond that we passed by several times--yes, we had no breeze at all and had no problems keeping our sweat glands active.


This race is not called the Red Dirt Shuffle by mistake.  Anyone wearing white socks went home with a permanent reminder of this race.

There was one aid station on the course that was at the busy intersection of a figure-8. We passed it twice on the first loop, and of course twice on the second. And this was no regular aid station--it was Meego's Cantina.besides the normal aid station food, there was adult beverages and PORK RINDS. Each time passing by, we seemed to linger a little longer. So it's safe to say that my DFL in the men's results could have been avoided were it not for staying for a munch and drink session. 

I saw only one snake, and he was a friendly chap. I picked him up and was going for a wrap around the arm picture when apparently he decided he did not want that picture floating around on Facebook. I settled for a ground shot.

There were plenty of wooden bridges including a suspended swinging bridge, which I forgot to photograph.

Thank you, Travis Owen, for this picture. I was finishing up the first lap with Johnna just ahead of me, but I am sure I looked just like this as I scurried to the finish line. I needed a beer and something to eat, and a PBR and a hot dog later, I was a happy camper. I finished last male but did manage to beat a group of women. I jokingly posted on Facebook that I pushed a group of women into a ravine and then cruised in to avoid the DFL. That wasn't really true, but because I thought it,maybe I would have done it. Hmmm......


I only had one fall and managed to break my fall with a sticker bush. It's all better now. Our finishers awards were these cool coasters. Now I have no excuse for having water rings on the end table in front of the TV.


The geniuses behind this race: Alicia on the left, Michelle hiding behind me, then super-hippy-Betsy, and Mike (who must have had Meego in time-out.)

Great event, Alicia and Cracked Hippies. You did good.




No comments:

Post a Comment