Thursday, April 29, 2010

An odd turn of events




I came home one day last week to discover my yard had been invaded by a flock of flamingos. They had just made theirselves at home right in my front yard, as if they had lived here for years. They really showed no fear, and in fact, I had to step over them to even get in my front door.They seemed to be pretty intent on feeding, and I wondered if grubworms were a part of their diet, and if so, I was in luck because I have a lot of them.

It turned out that we had not been to the grocery store for a while and Dana's diet consists of mainly chicken and salad. Since we needed chicken, and I had all these birds in the yard........and as soon as I stepped back out in the yard with a hatchet, the peaceful birds ambled away, and did not really let me get close.I did manaage to grab one by the leg and put his neck on a stump and lopped it off.Plucking a chicken is a difficult thing to do, and I think a flamingo may be even more difficult. But soon enough, I had it cleaned and ready to slap on the grille.The meat was white meat, and seemed to be really lean....a good diet food! I brushed on a little barbeque sauce, and the aroma drifted all over the outside air. MMMMMM!!!!Soon enough, it was ready to take off the grill.Gotta say, it was one of the best meals I have ever had....and it did in fact taste a lot like chicken.

Seriously, Jessica Gulley is a young lady in the RunnersWorld group, and is taking a mission trip to Peru this summer. To raise money for this endeavor, she has accumulated a flock of flamingos, and has them transported to various "friend's" houses. I am honored to be one of those friends. The flock is delivered with a letter that offers their services to relocate the flock for a designated fee. Quite a racket, don't ya think? The cool thing is, "I" got to designate "where" the flock would be relocated to. (Which got me to wondering WHO had the flock delivered to MY house!) Another interesting clause in the agreement was that I had the opportunity to buy flock infestation insurance for another modest fee. This insurance policy guaranteed that the flock would not come back to my house. Very clever, if you ask me! I was happy to have the flock relocated, and glad to pay the relocation fee. Still thinking about flock insurance....as tasty as that flamingo was, I wouldn't mind eating another!!

No comments:

Post a Comment