Sunday, December 5, 2010



It was another Sunday morning running with the TOTs. Cold. WIndy. Temps were sub 30. Windchills were sub 20. Our turnout was about half of what it was last week, but marathgons in Memphis and Dallas had a few of the regulars out of town. Still, there were 4 groups who traversed the traisl on Turkey Mountain this December morn.I have decided to NOT call my group the slow group. They are the steady group--the one that has the most fun, the one that stops to take in the sights whenever we darn well please.Slow?? I think not. Does Arena look slow here--blowing by the paparazzi in a blur?Our group of nine went 4.75 miles and ran the best that Turkey has to offer, bypassing the nastiest of trails. We'll do more rocks maybe next week. Take note of Rachel--the one with the pretty pink shoes. Yes, those are Vibram Five Fingers; this was her first trail run and she ran the whoe way wearing them. I was worried that the rocks would have given her fits, and that her piggies might have froze. She said everything went great--I want to believe that.

Even if you stay on the easiest of trails, you still have to keep an eye on where your footsies land.Lisa, who was running with a more spirited paced group, kicked a cable that was sticking out of the ground. Rather than doing a face plant or tuck-and-roll, she almost recovered by making massive strides, and oops--hyperextended her knee. OUCH! We came up on her and my heart just sank. She is a runner who is on top of her training and has Athens/Bib Fork Trail 26.2 coming up in a month, followed by a return trip to Colorado/Utah to Desert Rats in June.She had to be carried out and helped into their car. A trip to Urgent Care and x-ray revealed no broken bones, but possibly some stretched or torn ligaments. Let's keep her in our prayers for a speedy recovery.

Then, I had breakfast with Mitch, Arena, Rachel (the Vibram Five Finger girl), Ken aka K2, and a couple of friends who slept in--Eric and Polly.We got our moneys worth at First Watch, as I nearly bankrupted their coffee supply. I had a good visit with Eric, and I'm thinking he MAY add a 100K option to FlatRock this next year!!!! (I'm very excited!)

From there, I went to Chandler Park to watch a cyclocross race in which Kurt Egli was racing.(Pic borrowed from his FaceBook page.) After his event, Jason and I ran a little over seven miles on the trails and jeep roads southwest of the park. I forgot my camera, but you can see pics of the trails here. It was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment