Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Betcha have never ran HERE!!!

Did a bit of recon work for the TOT run this Sunday. We plan to run on the Nickel Preserve in the Pumpkin Holler neck of the woods.Right where Mitch had the waffle iron cooking, there is a jeep road that heads south. I took off down that way today to see what I could see.
What a treat--the first mile was a sweet downhill ride. I clocked the first mile in just under nine minutes--even with stopping to take a couple of pictures!
The road evened out somewhat as I ran through a valley. The remains of a hay barn and maybe a house complimented the landscape.
Even in the dead of winter (if this is winter) it is easy to take a good picture here. Despite gray skies and a bit of fog, it's beautiful.
The road had a minor rise and fall, and continued for almost four miles before intersecting with the paved road section of the Pumpkin Holler course.

At about three miles in, I came to a water crossing that is a lot like the Bathtub Rocks. Pictures did not capture this, so I did a video. I had to use my phone as my camera was almost dead. It's a bit fuzzy and my voice is not as suave and sexy as usual--sorry.

The dark stuff on the rocks was a moss or algae, and was SLICK!! No falls, but a couple of close calls.
Turning around at just under four miles, I started back. The nice downhill I enjoyed had a price.
I ran most of the way back up, but had a few brief and much needed walk breaks.

The plan is for the TOTs to run here Sunday. Those wanting a nice 8 miler can do the out-and-back. Those wanting 4-ish can run one-way, and I'll taxi them back to the start. We'll probably visit the bathtub rocks--might wanna dip my feet there.

Meet at the Turkey Mountain parking lot at 7:00 am Sunday February 18 and we'll caravan down. It'll be FUN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment