Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Barkley Book Fair: One last pic! And a funny letter


I hope I am not shot for posting this!!!

A friend of a friend received this email. Brian Franklin who owns and runs Double Shot Coffee Company received an email from one of his customers because she knows Brian is a trail runner. Brian Franklin forwarded it to Brian Hoover because he knew we do a lot of runs and events on Turkey Mountain. It seems the day after the Barkley Book Fair, a couple of hikers ran across some of the remnants from our race.
Here's her email:

Hey Brian,

Wanted to see if you had run into anything like this before on Turkey Mountain... Yesterday, I went hiking w/ a friend. We do the blue trail first, which goes around the pond. There were some taped-off areas where it was muddy, but no big deal. Then, we did the yellow trail,which I think is called the Ridge Trail. So, Lisa and I always go up more in the middle and come back more on the 'ridge' part closer to the
river.

As we're going up on the yellow trail, it's really overgrown, and I kept noticing books on the ground. I thought that it was weird because it seemed like the worst place to read a book, but if you want to sit there and really get a good case of poison ivy while reading, go ahead.Anyway, we got almost to the point on the trail where you turn around,and there is some orange tape blocking the path and a spray-painted arrow pointing more toward the middle, so pointing to the left, where we would normally go to the right.

I wanted to just ignore the tape and keep going to the right, but Lisa was worried that the trail was too muddy to pass. We started to the right, and there was a Stephen King book on the ground called 'The Long Walk', right past the arrow, which totally freaked me out that I was walking right into some murderer's trap, and would be like every white girl in horror movies.

We decided to go back on the trail that we came up on. So, as we're on our way back, I noticed that all of the books are Stephen King or other creepy murder books, like one was called something like 'Death Plan' and the books are in lying in spray-painted circles, the same spray paint that was the diversion arrow.

Is this weird? Is it just some goofy kids? What do you think?



I emailed both Brian and Molly and all was explained. I did ask Molly for her permission to post her letter. Now, I'm out the door to pull the rest of the ribbons and what's left of the books!

No comments:

Post a Comment