Wednesday, June 11, 2008

5 people, 5 questions

I got Tagged!
My friend Coleen (aka Cynical Mud Babe) who writes an upbeat....no, make that spunky blog, tagged me. I've been assigned 5 questions. Fortunately they are not too embarrassing, but heck....I have no shame anyway! So here goes.

1- How would you describe your running 10 years ago?

Well, it was pretty much non-existent. If you go back 11 years, I did actually run a little and clocked 30:10 in my 1st 5K. But I quit running right after that. Ten years ago I was temporarily single, and after my divorce I did chase women....does that count?

2-What is your best and worst run/race experience?

Best experience was Arkansas Traveller 2006. It was my 2nd 100 miler, and My friend Mike Snyder paced me for the last 52 miles. Mike's longest run before that was a 50K, but he was totally perfect in his pacing duties. He told jokes, sang Irish and Scottish folk songs, made sure I ate, drank, and peed, and kept me from walking off the edge of the mountain when I was falling asleep on my feet.We at one time were on a pace for a 30 hour finish, but somewhere in the night, we came alive, and ran like the wind for miles and miles. We finished in 28:09, fully 90 minutes before anyone thought we would.
My worst experience would probably be a 5K in Sand Springs that I ran in the fall of 2002. It was the Rotary Run, and was a point-to-point, mostly downhill. I mistakenly got to the race an hour early, and had to kill some time....no big deal. I really wanted to break 20 minutes, which at the time, was much too lofty a goal. Just about the time the race started, a strong cold front blew through, and although the race was downhill, it was into a very stiff cold north wind. The 1st 2K, I was on my pace, but then the wheels fell off. My heart was pounding so hard I thought I was having a heart attack. I slowed to a jog, and then slowed to a very slow walk. I was passed, passed, and passed again. Near the end of the race, Wish Lemons, an 84 year old running legend came shuffling past me. I managed to jog on in the last couple of blocks to the finish, but I did not want to have my time recorded. The man in the chute demanded that I go through and snatched my tab. So, I recorded a 36-something. How's that for a 5K bonk?

3- Why do you run?

I used to be a 225 LBer which is a bunch for a short guy like me. (My pics from then are guarded under lock and key lest some of my running buddies get a hold of them for revenge purposes.) My DW and I after looking at our photos from our Cancun vacation decided that we did not want to look like beached whales, and joined Weight Watchers and started walking. I remember a time when I could not even walk all the way around LaFortune (about 5K) and would have to cut across the golf course to cut a mile out of our walk. But walking led to a little jogging, and then to a little running, and then to a 5K, a 15K, a half, a 26.2, an ultra, a 100 miler, and onto other zombie-like running events. No running = gaining weight and grumpiness....just ask Dana! Seriously, I would not be someone you would want to know if I could not run!

4- What is the best or worst piece of advice you've been given about running?


Best advice is something I read maybe in the Chi-running book, I think. Run with quiet feet....run like you're sneaking up on someone. For me, that means I am not pounding myself, and I tend to land more on the mid-foot and fore-foot instead of heel-striking. Also, I swear by MSM/Glucosamine/Chondroitan. As many miles as I run, I rarely have achy joints.

Worst advice? Maybe that too much running is bad for you. Hey....they're my knees and I'll do with them what I want!

5- Tell us something surprising about yourself that not many people would know.

Not sure how much I wanna share here.
I won 1st place in the 6th grade science fair. I won an olive eating contest in the Latin Club. I play a mean harmonica. I have 6 toes on my left foot. I lie a lot.
I'd like to someday run across the United States.

Now I'm supposed to tag 5 other people so these are the people whose answers I'd really like to read:

Tatur Dave

Candice

Spud

David Ray

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment