Thursday, February 10, 2011

A little reconnaissance work




I made a trip to Mohawk Park to check out the route the T-TOTs are running on Sunday. There are a few miles of single track there, as well as some paved paths. In Tulsa, we were hit with 14 inches of snow a week ago, and another 6 inches a few days ago. Not much has melted since, as our low temps have been something like -12° with highs well below freezing.I parked my Jeep, started my Garmin, and began my trek.I wore my Saucony Razers since they have built-in gaiters. My feet stayed warm and toasty.No one had graced these trails since the snow. Doh! There's not too many people crazy enough to run trails like this.Some of our route is actually a paved road, but one that is not mantained and seldom driven. This could have been a super-highway, or a dirt road and today you could not tell. The tracks in the snow were made by rabbits, I think.This path leads to a small lake in the eastern part of the park. It appeared to be frozen solid, but you won't find me walking out on it.This always has seemed like a good fishing spot. Another day, perhaps. I think this would be a good place for a geocache too. I should have checked to see if there were any out this way, but I doubt I would have spent much time digging through the snow for them.I turned around a little past this sign, and took another path back. The snow looked way too deep down this little trail.I had made a small loop, and then came back on the same path I went out on. Having the makings of a path smunched down in the snow actually made the going a little easier.The sun beginning it's descent, peeking through the trees. The other trodden trails seen above are deer tracks. I saw a couple just after taking this picture, but they wouldn't wait for me to photograph them.

Then, I checked out the levee trail around Lake Yahola. I used to run this route often when I lived over by the airport. It's a 5K loop on a narrow chat road, and is pancake flat.There were a lot of ducks and geese on the lake. The ones above were not willing to pose for a closeup shot.A little further around the lake, the snow was back up to 8 inches deep. I'm hoping this melts down a little before Sunday, but it'd also be good if there was a good snow cover as it is amazingly beautiful.

More pics of the area, and of the run next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment