Thursday, November 4, 2010

Return to the Osages

Saturday, instead of running 22 miles on the roads with my RunnersWorld friends, Dana and I went on a road trip instead--to run trails in Osage State Oark between Bartlesville and Pawhuska. This is one of my (many) favorite places to run--ok, it's a little rocky, but is is beautiful, and when there has been at least a little rain in the past 2-3 months, the river that runs through it is beautiful!
Did I mention it was a road trip--like almost 60 miles from our house? We were tired of riding by the time we got there!
It has been a dry couple of months, and if anything, this area has gotten less rain than we have, and less than the Tahlequah area where we were last week.
There was little green left, and the fall colors were ok, but less than spectacular. Maybe we were a week or so late, but I blame it on the lack of fall rain.
Sand Creek, which is usually more like a river, is usually a beautiful sight with several cascading waterfalls and rapids as it horseshoes it's way through this state park. While the creek was not dry, not a lot of water was flowing.
In the still sections of the creek, it is a muddy looking. In the rainy season, it could pass for crystal clear almost drinkable water.
The trails here while not hilly, do have a few brief climbs. After leaving the river bank, we ascended this bluff, and stopped for a picture on the edge.
A good looking couple, wouldn't you say? November 6th--is our 12th anniversary!!!! We spent our day playing on the trails together--my idea of a perfect day!
Abother pic from the top of the bluffs. This cable is supposed to keep people from falling over the edge?? I guess it works, as we made it through with no mishaps.
There are about six miles of trails in the park proper--mostly single track, and some jeep roads.
This downhill section, I stretched it out a little. Must have been too short of a sprint though, as my Garmin was not impressed.
Dana did some of her faster running durring this stretch.
More rocky trails. Sometimes in the middle of the deep wodds, there would be steps. Funny what and where the parks dept decides to do improvements.
Playing with my camera--still working out multiple bugs. As I ofetn do, I capture the sun peeking through the trees. One out of ten of these pics turns out--I liked this one.
This is Lookout Lake. The trail winds around a bluff overlooking the north edge. This manmade lake is old--built in the 20s or 30s I am guessing. Looks like a good place to fish. I think it needs a trail all the way around it.
We finished with a little over six miles an a picture perfect day. The trail was a little too rocky to run every step, but we did enjoy every step. There are some newer mountain bike trails that we did not get to--maybe 6-8 miles worth--but we'll give them a go next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment